Monday, December 20, 2004

Just before Christmas

These are some wonderful boys: tall, strong, resiliant. I say resiliant because just tonight I threw Eli on the bed (the most fun they have is being thrown), and overshot: BAM! His head made a deep dent in the lathe and plaster walls. We took a black felt-tip ink pen and wrote in really small letters: Eli's head was here. Ouch! 12/20/04. Now, no mystery.

What a good day. I have been feeling pretty scattered, busy and confused, but today I was able to get the right medicine: getting presents for people. I was tricky: when we went last week, I asked Joe and Eli what to get for Jackson and Drew. Joe grabbed a set of model cars and pleaded to get it for him (or them, but they were pretty much forgotten). Eli swooned over a soap-making kit. And so my list was complete. Hee hee.

I wrapped them on the living room floor and loved it, my eyes buring from the cold air I'd been out in periodically all day, papers smouldering upstairs awaiting a grade, and got them all wrapped and under the tree before the boys came over. It was pretty wonderful to watch them sort through them: they figured out who had more (Eli) but decided that was ok because Joe had the largest present.

I heard today that unconditional love is loving someone with no expectations or requirements that they act in any particular way to earn your love. Your respect, maybe, but your love, no.

Good day, good day, good night.

No comments: