Sunday, November 06, 2011

Boys Fall 2011 Chicken Coop Thor


Today is November 6, 2011, and it’s going to be a beautiful day – or so they say.  Right now, there is a lot of promising sunshine, but it’s cold and the grass is beaten down with frost and there is a lot of wind in the trees up on the hills.  Down here, it’s less blustery and yet also less sunny.  Today I have to finish the chicken coop – my main responsibility, but while I was sleeping, I had a long dream that I don’t really remember, but the upshot is that I woke thinking about how rare these days are with my boys, and how surprising it is to see them grow up.  I woke with the decidedly unsettled feeling that I’ve done most all I can for them, and that for good and bad, they are set on a trajectory. I wondered what would happen to them when I’m gone, and that made me profoundly sad.  Of course, that’s partly just a squeeze in the limbic system, a tug of the cerebellum, and not as much a thought as a feeling.  I mean, this is the way things are, the way they go, like waves of grass.  But it is hard to accept.  I woke with a deep feeling of love for them both, verging on desperation.  I can’t control anything, but I can name what’s happening. 

Yesterday was Drew’s birthday.  Zach spend the night, too, and we had to argue with them to go to bed at midnight.  Jacqueline had a dust-off with Joe over bedtime.  She was really bothered by his attitude and eye-rolling.  The next day, they butted heads over whether or not they could have a nerf-gun war.  She was worried that the dog would eat a “bullet” and die; they were worried, or Joe was worried, about being subject to capricious and even malicious rules.  But this wasn’t the center of the day, though I did field Joe’s furious phone call about how he comes over here only to see me, and that “she” can’t tell him what to do……etc.

So much happened.  I’ll start with what I remember best.  That evening there was discussion about who is tallest, probably started by Eli who competes for my attention hard.  We started to take off our shoes, Joe and I, but got distracted, something happening upstairs….and Jacqueline and I continued making supper.  Joe is easily as tall as I am, lanky as his mom and my dad, which makes him seem taller. He talks easily, for the most part, and asks excellent questions, figuring out what his audience knows and can talk about.  The flipside is that he can be easily ashamed by just being himself, a teenager.  He’s seventeen, and easily bruised, good at jokes, very kind, sometimes insensitive, and good at figuring out who is worth his time and not.  He really likes Drew, does not have the time of day for Jackson, hardly talks to Eli – though they are kind to each other, and surprise me and each other by catching up with each other here in Tully: “So you are in basketball, Eli?” Joe will ask and Eli will explain where he stands in the tryouts, something they seem not to discuss at all at their mom’s house.

Joe had a chance to go to the mine with Drew, Zack, Jackson, and Eli, but he and I were working on the chicken coop out back.  I said, “Hey, I need one kid to stay here and help me,” and Joe said “I’ll do it.  Eli had a lot of time with you earlier today.”  And he stayed as the other boys scampered off to do their CIA work in the mine.  Then Joe said that he sure wished he could join them.  I was happy to say “Go!” and he goed.  45 minutes later, he returned.  He said he left early so that he could spend a few minutes with me before he went to work in Syracuse.  Wow.  So we talked and I explained my plan and he got to drill down into the 4x4s that rim the pen and even use the vicious rip saw to cut some threaded rod, and helped me put up the rudimentary ribs of a roof.  I was so glad to have a few minutes to work with him.  He sometimes complains that he has to do chores and work while here, but I’m always telling him that work is what people do together, that it is important, that I feel lucky to work with him and look at things we make together.  He said something like this back to me at the chicken coop, noticing how things get done between his visits and how he likes to come over and see what’s changed.  I was glad he could be part of it, even if briefly.

While driving yesterday I listened to Joan Didion’s interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air wherein she discussed her daughter’s death.  It was harrowing.  I got to listen to a lot of my iPod: I drove to get them Thursday, drop them off Friday, get them Friday after school, and finally to drop Joe off Saturday for work.  Their mom retrieved them Sunday before church.  With the trip to MI last weekend, I put over 1500 miles on the car this week.  It’s so worth it.  I’m lucky to be able to afford a car that works and runs and gets good mileage.

Eli likes to take brown eggs to his mom and today he nearly dropped about 20 eggs when the plastic bag tore as he was carrying it out the door.  Good save, Eli.  For the first half day when he comes to visit, he is a lot of swagger and bravado—telling us in cryptic streetspeak what he does on the court.  Mystery, bravery, machismo is all that comes through, and all that’s meant to.  The words are unintelligible.  When he leaves, he is much calmer, attentive, easy.

We get time to talk in the car, especially when it’s just one-on-one.  Eli told me on the way to the hardware store that when I talk about building the coop it to him what it must be like for me when he speaks his sports language.  It was an important insight.  He talks easily and well, confident but shy of cocky.  He knows his place, ultimately, and the bravado is a posture, something he (mostly) understands.

I wish I could remember everything!  The banter, the sentences, the gestures, the discourse back and forth.  So little remains already: the way the man in the hardware store handed down the long electrical galvanized tubing to Eli to grab, and the way he was proud to be someone strong  and big enough to receive it; the way Joe and Eli are fascinated by the old wedding picture of Aunt Mary and Uncle Jerry where Bobby at 40 looks like me now, and my own visage at 12 looks much like Eli now.  There is a certain consistency in that that everyone is eager to perceive and understand.  I remember Eli calling me over yesterday and saying, “Yo, Dad, comere and see this,” pointing at the ground at something noteworthy, and me going over, but I can’t remember what it was.  It was beautiful to him, but what was it? 

…and in the background of this all is my parents moving into the house in Little Rock, where they will sometime cease being my parents and it won’t change a thing, the kids will keep growing up and going off to their battles like waves of grass or seasons and it seems to me that all you can do is try to talk about it without sentimentality or inattention, to accept it and move toward it since any direction you take you are always already walking closer regardless.

This feeling, this loss or nostalgia or keening – it’s been with me all my life.  Neither “regretting the past nor shutting the door on it" seems like a tall order.

That’s all for now.  I soon have to go to a meeting.

Here is what the dog Thor look like right now.




No comments: